Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Mean Mama


If there is one area of parenting where I would fall into the "Mean Mama" category, teaching my kids to be healthy eaters would be it. Although I never actually put it into words, I guess my moto was "My kids' health is more important to me than my comfort and convenience." Because, trust me, it was not just uncomfortable or inconvenient; at times it was downright painful, because it hurt me to not let them eat when I knew they were hungry. Over and over again  I had to put my feelings aside and remind myself "It's not about you, Sandra!".   It's a decision that was worth the trouble and I have never regretted it.

Here's what I know; a very hungry child will eat anything! And now... you are really starting to wonder about this blogger! =)   No, I never starved my children, but they knew if they didn't eat what was put in front of them (and there was only one menu option) they would not eat until the next meal with no snacks in between. If they refused to eat, their plate would inevitably be covered with plastic and put in the refrigerator just in case they came to their senses and decided that stubborn pride was not going to fill their tummies and that starvation was worse than eating their veggies! Yes they got hungry, but if you will look them up on facebook you will see that it did not hurt them in the least and are, in fact, very happy and healthy individuals.  All six of them, almost all grown now,  love eating healthy foods and have thanked me numerous times for making them eat right when they were little, painful as it was for me and them. 

"I have made up my mind about this issue.  It is not worth the battle!", you may say. If we will take the time to consider the profound repercussions of such a decision we may change our minds.  This is a decision about your child's quality of life. From the very first mouthful of solid food our children begin developing eating habits that will stay with them for the rest of their lives and will define their health, good or bad, now and in the future. Every bite they take is a habit being formed. Obesity, cardiovascular disease, cancer, bone and dental diseases.  These, many times fatal, diseases are all directly related to poor eating habits and are only a few of many other health problems associated with the foods we eat.

If obedience training has not been a regular practice in your home, your child's eating habits are probably not the best place to start.  You can train a child to pick up his toys, but making him chew and swallow will only come in the context of a relationship where obedience to a command is normal or at least semi-normal =).

This is just "food for thought" today, more on this subject later.  Thanks for reading!

My blog has moved to http://sandrariordan.com/
Hope to see you there for the most recent posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment